Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Impersonating a Pirate Diety

(First of all, if you’re not familiar with the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I’m going to need you to go here so you, too, can be touched by His Noodly Appendage.)



During a recent trip to Brethrencon, Colorado’s premier pirate event in celebration of the annual Talk Like A Pirate Day, I decided to impersonate a pirate diety...
Now, just about half the pirates attending the con were familiar with His Noodliness, while the other, "unenlightened" half looked on in confusion at my bright yellow and slightly constricting garb that made entering and exiting doorways difficult without help. It was a great day for spreading Pastafarianism among the masses, so we can do our part to encourage everyone to dress like a pirate and therefore stop the spread of global warming.

I’m not sure which was my favorite – having fantastically garbed pirates bow down before me as I wiggled down the halls, or hearing the great puns my costume inspired… One pirate said I really used my "noodle" to come up with this one, and another pirate told me that my costume was very "al dente," or well done!

This isn’t the best footage of Brethrencon (probably because I was tightly held in His Noodly Embrace, and therefore had limited use of my own arms to operate my camera), but this was a very fun convention, with top-notch acts like Pandora Celtica, local authors like Terry Kroenung of the Legacy Stone series, and fantastic pirate merchants in the dealer’s room like Piratical Style Creations and the Castaway Trading Company adding even more piratical flair to the celebration. There was also much rum to be had, and much funds to be raised for a local parrot rescue foundation.

Overall, a very fun event, and as a bonus – my FSM costume won Best in Show! The prize was a custom-built hat from Captain Jack’s Pirate Hats. I’m having trouble choosing – and I’d love ideas from any readers with skills in haberdashery or pirate fashion!


No comments:

Post a Comment